No. 4 Kansas 64, Texas 59
Jan. 19, 2013
Recap | Final Stats | Photo Gallery
No. 4/4 KANSAS 64, TEXAS 59
Jan. 19, 2013
KU STARTERS (Season/Career Starts): C Jeff Withey (17/57), G Elijah Johnson (17/63), G Ben McLemore (17/17), F Travis Releford (17/59), F Kevin Young(14/14)
SERIES INFO: Kansas leads 21-7
• Made Kansas 16-1 on the season and 4-0 in Big 12 Conference play
• Gave KU a record of 16-1 or better for the third time in the last four seasons and the fifth time in the 10 years of the Bill Self era
• Gave KU its 15th-straight win
• Made KU 4-0 in Big 12 play for the second-straight season and the seventh time under Bill Self
• Improved KU to 21-7 all-time against Texas, including 6-5 in Austin (5-4 in the Frank Erwin Center)
• Moved Bill Self to 285-54 at Kansas and 492-159 overall in his career
• Improved KU to 2,086-807 all-time
• Kansas has overcome deficits of eight or more three times this season (8 at Ohio State, 12 vs. Chattanooga, 11 at Texas).
• The Jayhawks' 42-31 deficit in the second half marked the largest deficit that KU has faced in Big 12 play (previously 6 vs. Iowa State, 1/9) - one point shy of its largest of the season (12 vs. Chattanooga, 11/15).
• For the first 13 minutes, all of Texas' scorers were freshmen (Julien Lewis, So., 7:09 1st half).
• Kansas went more than nine minutes without a field goal in the first half (Ben McLemore jumper, 9:58/Jeff Withey layup, :53).
• The Jayhawks' 26 points in the first half marked their fewest scored in a half this season (previously 27 at Texas Tech, 1/12).
• Kansas erased an 11-point deficit in 11 minutes and nine seconds (42-31, 15:22/54-53, 4:13).
• KU outscored Texas 17-6 in the final 5:36 of the game.
• Texas shot 45 percent (25-for-56) to Kansas' 39 percent (20-for-51), becoming the second team this year to outshoot the Jayhawks (Michigan State, 11/13).
• Kansas pushed Texas' mark to start Big 12 play to 0-4, marking the first time since starting the 1997-98 season with the same record (Coach Tom Penders final season at Texas).
• Out of its 17 games, Kansas has held 11 of its opponents under 60 points.
• Kansas grabbed 36 rebounds to Texas' 29, KU has outrebounded 14 of 17 opponents in 2012-13.
• The Jayhawks recorded double-digit steals (10) for the third-straight game and the sixth time this season.
• KU shot 84 percent (21-for-25) from the free throw line compared to UT's 25 percent (2-for-8).
• Senior center Jeff Withey's three blocks marked the 27th-consecutive game he has recorded at least one rejection and the 15th game this season he has tallied multiple blocks.
• Withey moved up to a tie for third on KU's career blocked shots list (243, Nick Collison)
• Redshirt freshman guard Ben McLemore's 16 points marked the fifth-straight contest and 15th game this season he has scored in double-digits.
• After scoring nine, eight and two points in KU's first three games of the season, senior guard Travis Releford has contributed double-digit points in all 13 games since (12 vs. Texas).
• McLemore tallied just five points in the first half, but came through for 11 in the second half to lead the team with 16 points. It marked the eighth time that he scored first and led the Jayhawks in scoring.
• McLemore shot 60 percent (6-for-10), the fourth time this year he's shot 60 percent or better.