No. 3/2 Kansas 59, No. 11/13 Kansas State 55
Jan. 22, 2013
Final Stats |
NO. 3/2 KANSAS 59, NO. 11/13 KANSAS STATE 55
Jan. 22, 2013
KU STARTERS (Season/Career Starts): C Jeff Withey (18/58), G Elijah Johnson (18/64), G Ben McLemore (18/18), F Travis Releford (18/60), F Kevin Young (15/15)
SERIES INFO: Kansas leads 183-91
ATTENDANCE: 12,528 (sold-out)
• Made Kansas 17-1 on the season and 5-0 in Big 12 Conference play
• Gave KU a record of 17-1 or better for the third time in the last four seasons and the fifth time in the 10-year Bill Self era
• Gave KU its 16th-straight win
• Made KU 5-0 in Big 12 play for the second-straight season and the sixth time under Bill Self
• Improved KU to 184-91 all-time against Kansas State, including 75-45 in Manhattan (23-2 in Bramlage Coliseum)
• Moved Bill Self to 286-54 at Kansas and 493-159 overall in his career
• Improved KU to 2,087-807 all-time
• Kansas recorded a season-low 59 points in the win, its lowest scoring output since scoring 59 points in the 2012 National Championship game (59 vs. Kentucky).
• Four Jayhawk starters had scored before the first media timeout and the fifth, senior F Kevin Young, made a free throw directly out of the first media timeout.
• By halftime, seven different Jayhawks contributed to the scoreboard while 21 of KSU's 27 points came from two players (Angel Rodriguez, Shane Southwell).
• Kansas shot 44.4 percent (12-for-27) in the first half, its highest shooting start in a Big 12 road game and the second-highest in conference play (48.3 percent vs. Iowa State).
• Out of its 18 games, Kansas has held 12 of its opponents under 60 points.
• Kansas grabbed 35 rebounds to Kansas State's 28, KU has outrebounded 15 of 18 opponents in 2012-13.
• KU has held KSU to 55 points or fewer in the last three-consecutive meetings.
• Kansas State shot a season-high 30 three-pointers (9-for-30).
• For the first time in 28 games, senior center Jeff Withey was not credited with a block.
• On the flipside, Withey recorded his 13th career double-double and his seventh on the season, second only to Melvin Ejim of Iowa State's eight in 2012-13. He tallied 11 points and 10 rebounds.
• Freshman F Perry Ellis had seven points by halftime - his highest output since scoring 11 vs. American (12/29). He finished with eight points.
• Ellis also collected a block and was the only Jayhawk with a block in the first half. The freshman has a block in seven games this season.
• Redshirt freshman G Ben McLemore was whistled for two offensive fouls in a less than 90-second span (10:35, 9:22) and was benched for the remainder of the first half. After scoring two points in the first half, he racked up nine in the second.
• McLemore rejected two shots, marking his fifth-straight game with at least one block and his sixth multi-block game this season.
• McLemore's 11 points marked the sixth-straight contest and 16th game this season he has scored in double-digits.
• Senior G Travis Releford has contributed double-digit points in 14-straight games, including a team-high 12 at Kansas State.
• Sophomore G Naadir Tharpe is a perfect 4-for-4 in free throws in the last five minutes of games this season.