Feb. 25, 2013
Final Stats |
KU STARTERS (Season/Career Starts): C Jeff Withey (28/68), G Elijah Johnson (28/74), G Ben McLemore (28/28), F Travis Releford (28/70), F Kevin Young (24/24)
SERIES INFO: Kansas leads 173-59
- Makes Kansas 24-4 on the season, giving KU 24 wins for the eighth-consecutive season, beginning in 2005-06.
- Gives the Jayhawks 12 conference wins for the 13th straight season dating back to 2000-01.
- Snapped a 22-game home winning streak for Iowa State and moved the Jayhawks to 173-59 all-time against the Cyclones, including a 23-19 mark in Hilton Coliseum. The win was KU’s 15th win against ISU in the last 16 meetings.
- Makes Kansas 14-1 in Allen Fieldhouse this season and 696-108 all-time
- Improves Bill Self to 293-57 while at KU and 500-162 overall. Self became the ninth fastest head coach to reach 500 victories, needing just 662 games to accomplish the feat.
- Makes KU 2,094-810 all-time
- Kansas scored 41 points in the first half, the third-most in Big 12 Conference play this season and most since logging 47 in the first 20 minutes against K-State at Allen Fieldhouse (2/11). The first half total was one less than the Jayhawks tallied in the first half of the previous meeting with the Cyclones this season (42).
- Naadir Tharpe’s lay-up with less than five seconds left in the first half gave the Jayhawks a 41-40 edge at the break. Kansas led by as many as four in the first half, but trailed by as many as seven to the Cyclones. KU improved to 21-1 when leading at the half.
- Iowa State’s 41 three-point field goals attempts were the most ever by a KU opponent and the 17 makes tied for second-most against KU. The mark trails Nebraska’s made 18 three-pointers against Kansas (2/24/02) and ties Kentucky’s 17 made threes (12/9/89).
- Senior G Elijah Johnson scored eight points in the game’s final 35.7 seconds, including two three-pointers and a pair of free throws to tie and send the game to overtime. Johnson’s tallied a career-high 39 points, the most by a Jayhawk since Terry Brown scored 42 against NC State (1/5/91). Johnson’s previous career high was 26 points.
- Johnson’s 18 second-half points tied Thomas Robinson (2nd vs. Texas, 3/3/12) for the sixth most by a Jayhawk in a half since the 1988-89 season.
- Johnson scored 12 points in overtime, the most ever by a Jayhawk in a single overtime period. He passed Raef Lafrentz’ 11 points in overtime against Nebraska in Lawrence (2/1/97)
- Senior C Jeff Withey, the two-time reigning Big 12 Player of the Week, logged his 11th double-double of the season and 17th of his career with 13 points and 10 rebounds. The school and conference record holder in blocked shots was held without a redirect for just the second time this season.
- Senior G Travis Releford’s 19 points was his highest total in Big 12 Conference play this season. He went 5-for-9 from deep, tying a career-high with made threes set earlier this season against American (12/29).