Final Stats |
RICE 25, KANSAS 24
SEPT. 8, 2012 - LAWRENCE, KAN.
- The all-time series between KU and Rice is now tied 1-1.
KANSAS CAPTAINS: Dayne Crist (QB), Tanner Hawkinson (OT), Toben Opurum (DE/LB), Jake Love (LB)
DEBUTS AT KU: Nick Prolago (K)
FIRST TIME STARTERS AT KU: Defense – Prinz Kande (LB)
- Despite the loss, KU has still won 25 of its last 27 non-conference home games dating back to the start of the 2003 season.
- Kansas is 25-6 in its last 31 games against non-Big 12 opponents.
- Senior OL Tanner Hawkinson’s 38th consecutive start for Kansas. Senior OL Duane Zlatnik started his 22nd straight, while senior S Bradley McDougald and senior LB Toben Opurum each started their 20th consecutive game.
- Pierson is the first Jayhawk to rush for 100-plus yards in back-to-back games since James Sims did it the first two games of the 2011 season.
- Sophomore TE Jimmay Mundine’s first quarter touchdown catch was his first TD reception of the season and second of his career. He caught at TD pass last year against Kansas State (10.22.11).
- Freshman LB Schyler Miles’ touchdown in the second quarter was the first of his career. Last week against South Dakota State, KU senior DE/LB Toben Opurum was a blocking back in goal line situations.
- Kansas entered today’s game tied for the NCAA lead with four interceptions and had one against Rice. Dating back to last season, in KU’s last three games the Jayhawks have had six interceptions.
- In just two games, Kansas has five interceptions. Last year KU only had eight INTs.
- Senior CB Greg Brown’s interception in the first quarter was his first of the season and fourth of his career. His previous INT was against Missouri in the 2011 season finale.
- Senior DE/LB Toben Opurum’s fumble recovery in the first quarter was the first of his career. He also forced the same fumble, his first FF of 2012 and third FF of his career.
SPECIAL TEAMS NOTES
- Sophomore K Nick Prolago handled kick off duties with five that included on touchback.