No. #23 Texas 21 - Kansas 17
Oct. 27, 2012
Final Stats |
NO. 23 TEXAS 21, KANSAS 17
OCT. 27, 2012 - LAWRENCE, KAN.
Kansas is 3-10 all-time against Texas
CAPTAINS: Dayne Crist (QB), Tanner Hawkinson (OT), Toben Opurum (DE/LB), Josh Williams(DL)
DEBUTS: S Brian Maura
FIRST-TIME STARTERS: OL Damon Martin
• Kansas senior OT Tanner Hawkinsonstarted his 44th consecutive game, which is the longest for a KU player since 2000.
• When Kansas took a 14-7 lead in the second quarter it mark its first lead since the Kansas State game on Oct. 6.
• Kansas celebrated its 100th Homecoming and its 99th Homecoming game. The Jayhawks are 42-52-5 in Homecoming games.
• Kansas' 14-7 halftime lead was its third halftime lead of the season.
• The pregame F-16 Fighting Falcon flyover was provided by airmen of the 182nd fighter squadron from the 149th fighter wing out of Kelly Field in San Antonio, Texas.
• Junior HB James Sims' surpassed the 100-yard rushing mark in the second quarter. He has now rushed for 100-yards in each of his last four games which is the first time a Jayhawk has accomplished the feat since Tony Sands rushed for 100-plus in four games in 1991. His 176 yards were a career high, including 139 in the first half, to surpass his previous career high of 138 set against Oklahoma State earlier this season.
• Sims' 64-yard rush in the second quarter was the longest of his career, surpassing his 56-yard run against Oklahoma last season. The 64-yard rush was the longest of the season for Kansas.
• The 64-yard rush by Sims was the longest by a Jayhawk since Jon Cornish had a 69-yard run in the 2006 season against Northwestern State (9/2/06) in the season opener.
• Sims became the 11th player in KU history to rush for 2,000 yards, currently at 2,091 yards. At 11th on the KU rushing list, against Texas he passed Kerwin Bell (1,970 yards from 1980-83). Jake Sharp (2006-09) is 10th at 2,239 career rushing yards.
• Sims moved into sixth place on the KU career rushing attempts list, currently at 479. Against Texas he passed Jake Sharp (456 from 2006-09) and Laverne Smith (472 from 1973-76).
• Sims moved into a tie for sixth on the KU career 100-yard rushing list with nine. He is tied with Clark Greenwho had nine from 2002-05.
• Kansas has had at least one 100-yard rusher in six of the eight games this season.
• Junior WR Christian Matthews' touchdown run in the second quarter was his second rushing touchdown of his career. He also had a rushing TD against Baylor last season.
• Kansas' 98-yard scoring drive in the second quarter was its longest of the season and the longest since a 99-yard drive against New Mexico State in 2010.
• Kansas had only seven pass attempts. This is the lowest since Nov. 2, 1992 vs. Oklahoma State.
• Redshirt freshman Jake Love recorded his first career sack in the first quarter.
• Senior CB Greg Brown's interception in the second quarter was his second of the season and fifth of his career.
• Senior Toben Opurum forced fumble in the third quarter was his third of the season and fifth of his career.
• Senior S Lubbock Smith's interception in the third quarter was his second of the season and second of his career.
• Sophomore Ben Heeney recorded 13 tackles, one shy from his career high (14) vs. Kansas State. He has three games with 10-plus tackles this season.
• Junior LB Huldon Tharphad a season-high 11 tackles. His career high is 13 vs. Nebraska on Nov. 19, 2009.
• Kansas has nine interceptions this season which is one more than last season's eight.
• Kansas has forced 17 turnovers this season. Last year the Jayhawks had 18 turnovers.
SPECIAL TEAM NOTES
• Sophomore K Nick Prolago made his first career field goal which gave KU a 17-14 lead with 2:28 left in the game. This was his second career attempt.