Postgame Notes: vs. Baylor
Nov. 3, 2012
Final Stats |
BAYLOR 41, KANSAS 14
NOV. 3, 2012 – WACO, TEXAS
SERIES HISTORY: Baylor now leads the series with Kansas 8-4.
CAPTAINS: Dayne Crist (QB), Tanner Hawkinson (OT), Toben Opurum (DE/LB); Bradley McDougald (S)
FIRST TIME STARTERS: Josh Ford (WR)
- Baylor won the opening coin toss and elected to receive.
- Senior OT Tanner Hawkinson started his 45th consecutive game, which is one shy of the school record of 46 consecutive starts, which is held by Hessley Hempstead (1991-94).
- Junior LB Darius Willis made his first start since the last game of the 2011 season.
- Junior HB James Sims scored KU’s first touchdown on a 59-yard run in the first quarter. It marked Sims’ longest touchdown run of his career and second longest run (64-yard run vs. Texas last week).
- Sims rushed for 128 yards in the game. It marked Sims’ fifth-straight game of rushing for over 100 yards, the first time a Jayhawk has done this since 1974 (Laverne Smith).
- Freshman QB Michael Cummings scored KU’s second touchdown on a 22-yard run. It marked his first career touchdown run and the longest rush of his career.
- Four different Kansas backs (Sims, Cummings, Taylor Cox, Tony Pierson) had runs of 15 yards or more in the first half.
- Cox rushed for 71 yards on 10 carries, his highest total since rushing for 79 yards against Rice.
- As a team, KU rushed for 246 yards in the game, marking its second-straight game of over 200 yards on the ground and second-highest total of the season.
- Senior QB Dayne Crist saw his first action since the Oklahoma game.
- Senior CB Greg Brown made a tackle for a two-yard loss, which marked his first solo TFL of the season.
- Brown made nine tackles in the game, which were a season-high.
- Freshman LB Schyler Miles recorded a career-high three tackles.
- Senior DE Josh Williams collected a career-high six tackles.
- Sophomore DE Michael Reynolds set a career-high with three tackles, including two TFLs.
- As a team, KU’s defense made 10 tackles behind the line of scrimmage, which was a season-high.
SPECIAL TEAMS NOTES
- Sophomore HB Taylor Cox returned a kick 42 yards near the end of the half, which marked the longest kickoff return of the season by a Jayhawk.