Postgame Notes vs. Iowa State
Nov. 5, 2011
Final Stats |
IOWA STATE 13, KANSAS 10
November 5, 2011
- The Kansas-Iowa State series is now 49-36 in favor of Kansas, with three ties.
- Today's attendance: 51,575
CAPTAINS: Tim Biere (TE), Toben Opurum (DE), Jeremiah Hatch (C), Steven Johnson (LB).
- Iowa State won the toss and elected to defer. Kansas received the opening kickoff for the eighth time in nine games this season.
- Kansas held a lead at the end of the first quarter on Saturday, marking the first time KU has led at the end of a quarter since halftime of the Texas Tech game.
- It was also only the third time this season KU held a lead at the end of the first quarter.
- As a team, KU rushed for 174 yards, which was the most since running for 249 yards against Texas Tech.
- Freshman RB Darrian Miller recorded a season-high 70 rushing yards Saturday.
- Sophomore WR Christian Matthews recorded a 12-yard reception in the first quarter, marking his fourth-straight game with a catch.
- Matthews tallied a career-high with three catches in the game.
- Matthews also attempted his first career pass in the second quarter on a reverse.
- Junior WR D.J. Beshears scored a first quarter touchdown on a 22-yard run. It was Beshears’ longest run from scrimmage in his career.
- Beshears made five catches for 45 yards, which marked his most receptions since the Georgia Tech game.
- Freshman WR Marquis Jackson had a 21-yard catch in the third quarter to extend a drive. It was Jackson’s first reception since the Oklahoma game and his longest of the season.
- KU held Iowa State to just 13 points, which is the fewest allowed in a Big 12 game since it defeated Iowa State 45-7 in 2007.
- Kansas held Iowa State scoreless during the third quarter, marking the first time KU has held an opponent off the board in the third since the New Mexico State game last season.
- As a team, the Jayhawks recorded seven tackles-for-a-loss in the game, which was the most since the McNeese State game (10).
- Senior DT Patrick Dorsey recovered a fumble in the fourth quarter, which matched a season-high three turnovers forced by the Jayhawks.
- Junior CB Greg Brown had a forced fumble in the first quarter, marking his first of the year and second of his career.
- Junior S Bradley McDougald forced an Iowa State fumble in the second half, which was recovered by CB Anthony Davis. It was McDougald’s first career forced fumble.
- McDougald also recorded an interception in the third quarter, marking his first of the season and third of his career.
- McDougald tallied two tackles-for-a-loss, which set a career high.
- McDougald also had 11 tackles in the game, which marked his second-consecutive game with 11 stops. His 11 tackles matched a career high.
- Senior LB Steven Johnson had just five tackles in the game, which ended a streak of three-straight games with at least 10 stops.
- Junior LB Malcolm Walker recorded his first sack in a Jayhawk uniform late in the second quarter, which was KU’s eighth sack of the season.
- KU’s defense forced multiple turnovers Saturday for the second-straight game and the third time in its last four games.
SPECIAL TEAMS NOTES
- Sophomore punter Ron Doherty had two punts downed inside the 20-yard line, giving him 11 for the season. Doherty’s total ranks fifth in the Big 12.
- Doherty connected on a 19-yard field goal in the third quarter, which marked his first career field goal in his first career attempt.
- Doherty also handled kickoff duties in the second half and recorded KU’s first touchback of the season following his field goal.