Nov. 12, 2011
BAYLOR 31, KANSAS 30 (overtime)
November 12, 2011
· Kansas won the toss and deferred to the second half. The Jayhawks received both the first and second half kicks.
· KU led the game 3-0 at the end of the first quarter. It marked the second-straight game that the Jayhawks have held a lead after one quarter.
· The Jayhawks led 17-3 at the half, giving them their third lead through two quarters this season.
· Kansas played in its first overtime game since 2006 at Nebraska. It was the first overtime game at Memorial Stadium since KU defeated Iowa State in 2005.
· Baylor leads the series with Kansas 7-4.
· Freshman RB Darrian Miller recorded a 23-yard run in the first quarter, which represented his longest of the season.
· Miller rushed for a career high 147 yards, becoming the third different Jayhawk to rush for 100 yards this season.
· Miller’s 147 yards rushing were the most by an individual Jayhawk since Jake Sharp ran for 181 yards against Kansas State in 2008.
· As a team, KU ran the ball 64 times, which was the most since the Jayhawks had 71 rushing attempts against Kansas State in 1992.
· The Jayhawks’ 296 rushing yards were the most since the McNeese State game.
· Kansas scored on its opening drive for the first time since the Oklahoma State game.
· Sophomore WR/QB Christian Matthews scored on a two-yard run in the second quarter, which marked his first career touchdown.
· Matthews became the 15th different Jayhawk to score a touchdown this season. Matthews became the 10th Jayhawk to score his first career touchdown in 2011.
· KU was 3-for-3 on fourth down in the game and is 13-for-19 on the season.
· Freshman RB Tony Pierson scored in the third quarter on a 34-yard run. It was his longest run since a 47-yard run in the McNeese State game.
· In overtime, Webb threw a 25-yard touchdown pass to Tim Biere. It was Biere’s first TD reception since the Oklahoma State game, his second of the season and sixth of his career.
· Kansas forced two fumbles in the first half, which marked the second-straight game and the third time this season that the Jayhawks have forced multiple turnovers in a game.
· Senior Anthony Davis recorded his first career interception and KU’s sixth pick of the season.
· KU’s 3-0 lead at the end of the first quarter marked just the second time this season that the Jayhawks have held an opponent scoreless in the first period (McNeese State).
· Senior LB Steven Johnson collected 10 tackles, which marked his seventh game this season with double-digit tackle numbers.
· Junior S Bradley McDougald also recorded 10 tackles, which marked his third-straight game with double-digit tackle numbers.
SPECIAL TEAMS NOTES