Kansas Postgame Notes - vs. Iowa State
Nov. 17, 2012
Recap | Final Stats | Quotes | Photo Gallery
IOWA STATE 51, KANSAS 23
November 17, 2012 - LAWRENCE, KAN.
• Kansas is now 49-37-6 against Iowa State all-time.
Dayne Crist (QB), Tanner Hawkinson (OT), Toben Opurum (DE/LB) and the remaining seniors
KANSAS SENIORS HONORED PRIOR TO GAME:
Tunde Bakare, D.J. Beshears, Greg Brown, Josh Burgoon, Ryan Burton, Justin Carnes, Dayne Crist, Tanner Hawkinson, Brandon Hawks, Tyler Hunt, Trevor Marrongelli, Anthony McDonald, Bradley McDougald, Toben Opurum, Daymond Patterson, Kale Pick, Corrigan Powell, Justin Puthoff, Mike Ragone, Josh Richardson, Lubbock Smith, Josh Williams, Duane Zlatnik.
• This is the first time KU wore alternate uniforms since the all powder blue throwback uniforms against Texas Tech last season. It is believed to be the first time KU has worn all black uniforms.
• Kansas won the coin toss and deferred for the third-straight week.
• Senior OL Tanner Hawkinson set a KU record with his 47th consecutive start. He passed Hessley Hempstead who started 46-straight from 1991-94. Hawkinson tied the KU all-time start record of 47 originally set by Bob Whitaker from 2003-06.
• In the 92-game series, 51 points is the most points Iowa State has scored against Kansas, topping the old mark set in 2001 with a 49-7 win in Lawrence, Kan.
• Sophomore HB Tony Pierson's 55-yard touchdown run in the second quarter was the fourth-straight game that Kansas has had a rush of 55 yards or more - Sims 64 vs. Texas, Sims 58 vs. Baylor and Pierson 69 vs. Texas Tech.
• Pierson caught a 37-yard touchdown pass in the fourth quarter, his second receiving TD catch of the season. The 37-yard reception was a career long for Pierson.
• Pierson has scored six touchdowns in 2012, four rushing and two receiving.
• Junior HB Taylor Cox' catch in the first quarter was his first since the Kansas State game and the 17 yards was the longest of his career.
• Cox' touchdown rush for KU's first score was his first rushing TD since the Rice game and his third TD of the season.
• Junior HB James Sims' fumble in the second quarter was his first in 246 carries with his last at Iowa State last year (Nov. 5, 2011).
• Sophomore TE Jimmay Mundine's 35-yard reception in the second quarter was the longest of his career.
• Iowa State's opening drive ended in a fumble. It marked the sixth time this year that Kansas forced a turnover in the red zone and 14th time a KU opponent has been in the red zone and not come away with points.
• In the first quarter junior DL Keba Agostinho forced his first fumble of the season and second of his career. Senior DL Josh Williams recovered the fumble, his third of the season and his career.
• Sophomore LB Ben Heeney ended with 13 tackles. He has recorded double-digit tackles in five games this season.
SPECIAL TEAMS NOTES
• Sophomore PK Nick Prolago made a 21-yard field goal to end the first half. Prolago has made his last four field goal attempts.
• Iowa State kicker Edwin Arceo's 51-yard field goal was the longest field goal against Kansas since 1998 when Iowa State's Jamie Kohl made a 54-yarder at Iowa State.
• Senior D.J. Beshears passed the 2,000-yard mark for career kick return yard with 2,059, which is second all-time. The KU career record is 2,075 by Marcus Herford from 2005-08.