EXPANSION/CURTAILMENT OF PROGRAMS
Kansas Athletics intercollegiate athletics program may be examined periodically with regard to possible sports programs expansion or curtailment. New sports may be added or a present program may be expanded or curtailed based on an evaluation process using the following criteria:
- NCAA mandate;
- Title IX Compliance;
- National trends;
- Big Twelve Conference and NCAA sponsorship;
- Availability of facilities;
- Proximity and quality of available competition;
- Interest level of participants and spectators;
- Funding demands, including the related need for support staff and travel;
- Availability of quality coaches; and
- History of the sport at the University (e.g., a club sport, intramural sport or prior varsity sport).
The Director of Athletics evaluates and makes recommendations for a program's institution, expansion or curtailment to the Kansas Athletics Board of Directors. The recommendation should include the following information:
- Reasoning for the proposed change;
- Review of a particular sport's previous win/loss record;
- Review of a particular sport's previous financial history (i.e., expenses and revenues);
- Impact on facilities, as well as staffing; and
- Estimated cost savings or expense to be incurred.
The Chancellor of the University makes the final decision regarding the Board of Directors' recommendation.