Kansas Tennis Falls to No. 6 Notre Dame
Feb. 5, 2010
LAWRENCE, Kan. -
The Kansas women's tennis team fell to No. 6 Notre Dame 7-0 at the Jayhawk Tennis Facility on Friday.
At No. 1 singles, sophomore Ekaterina Morozova took No. 30 Kristy Frilling to a first set tiebreaker, but fell 7-6(3), 6-2. The match included five deuce games with three of them going to three deuces or more.
Freshman Sara Lazarevic also took her opponent to a first set tiebreak at No. 2 doubles, but fell 6-3 in the second set.
"I was really impressed with how they came out and competed today," said head coach Amy Hall-Holt. "They were there with opportunities to win and I'm really excited about where the team is going."
KU continues its home series when it welcomes UMKC to Jayhawk Tennis Facility at 2 p.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 10. Admission is free to the public.
Check back with www.kuathletics.com/tennis for updates.
KU vs. No.6 Notre Dame
1) #12 Krisik/Frilling (Notre Dame) def. Lazarevic/Morozova (KU), 8-2
2) McGaffigan/Ciobanu (Notre Dame) def. Wilbert/Khanevskaya (KU), 8-2
3) Rielley/Mathews (Notre Dame) def. Martinez/Dzuba (KU), 8-1
1) #30 Kristy Frilling (Notre Dame) def. Ekaterina Morozova (KU), 7-6(3), 6-2
2) Shannon Mathews (Notre Dame) def. Sara Lazarevic (KU), 7-6(4), 6-3
3) Chrissie McGaffigan (Notre Dame) def. Kunigunda Dorn (KU), 6-4, 6-2
4) Kali Krisik (Notre Dame) def. Maria Martinez (KU), 6-3, 6-1
5) Cosmina Ciobanu (Notre Dame) def. Erin Wilbert (KU), 6-2, 6-2
6) Colleen Rielley (Notre Dame) def. Vika Khanevskaya (KU), 4-6, 6-0, 10-6