Jayhawks cruise to second-straight victory.
Feb. 16, 2008
LAWRENCE, Kan. -- In a nearly flawless performance, the University of Kansas tennis team dominated UMKC, 7-0, Saturday afternoon at First Serve. The win, which was KU's second-straight shutout, improved the Jayhawks to 2-3.
KU opened the dual by storming through doubles play as all three of its tandems notched convincing wins. In the No. 1 match, senior Elizaveta Avdeeva and junior Edina Horvath continued to roll, defeating the Kangaroos' Chelsea Horner and Emily Lindsay, 8-3, to improve their dual match record to 5-0.
The Jayhawks also got wins from junior Yuliana Svistun and sophomore Kunigunda Dorn in the No. 2 match, and from senior Lauren Hommell and freshman Maria Martinez -- who was competing in her first doubles contest in dual play -- in the No. 3 position.
Kansas' momentum then carried into singles play as it dropped only five games en route to victories in all six matches. Svistun, Martinez and freshman Magdalena Tokarczyk, who played in the No. 1 position for the third time this season, all notched perfect 6-0, 6-0 victories, while Avdeeva, Horvath and senior Stephanie Smith also won their contests in straight sets.
By winning both her matches on Saturday, Horvath, a Budapest, Hungary, native, remains unbeaten in both singles and doubles in dual play.
Tokarczyk's record also continues to look more and more impressive. The Ksawerow, Poland, native is now 4-1 in dual play and 6-1 overall after her win over Horner.
Saturday marked the first time since March 25, 2006 that KU has recorded back-to-back 7-0 wins. Ironically, both shutouts also came against Saint Louis and UMKC.
Kansas will return to action next weekend when it travels to Kentucky on Feb. 23 and Eastern Kentucky on Feb. 24. The Jayhawks do not play another home match until March 9 against New Mexico.
1) Avdeeva/Horvath (KU) def. Horner/Lindsay (UMKC), 8-3
2) Dorn/Svistun (KU) def. Burke/Reddy (UMKC), 8-0
3) Hommell/Martinez (KU) def. Davis/Kofron (UMKC), 8-1
1) Magdalena Tokarczyk (KU) def. Chelsea Horner (UMKC), 6-0, 6-0
2) Elizaveta Avdeeva (KU) def. Emily Lindsay (UMKC), 6-1, 6-1
3) Edina Horvath (KU) def. Akshara Reddy (UMKC), 6-1, 6-0
4) Yuliana Svistun (KU) def. Caitlin Burke (UMKC), 6-0, 6-0
5) Stephanie Smith (KU) vs. Holly Davis (UMKC), 6-1, 6-1
6) Maria Martinez (KU) def. Nicole Kofron (UMKC), 6-0, 6-0