Feb. 22, 2009
IOWA CITY, Iowa -
In its second dual of the weekend, the Kansas women's tennis team fell to the No. 75 Iowa Hawkeyes, 5-2, at the Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Center in Iowa City, Iowa Sunday afternoon.
Kansas fell to 4-3 on the season while Iowa improved its record to 5-5.
The Jayhawks battled in doubles competition, taking the set at the No. 1 position, but falling at the No. 2 and No. 3 spots to lose the doubles point. Edina Horvath and Kunigunda Dorn were victorious over Sonja Molnar and Jessica Young, 8-6. Yuliana Svistun and Ekaterina Morozova took an early lead in their match, 6-3, but dropped the match 8-6. Alessandra Dzuba and Erin Wilbert then pushed the third match to a tiebreaker, but couldn't quite pull it out as they lost, 9-8 (2).
Iowa clinched the dual victory when Molnar defeated Horvath at the No. 1 singles position, 6-1, 6-1. The Hawkeyes had already claimed matches against Martinez and Svistun to give them a 3-0 lead. Morozova and Wilbert, the two freshmen in the KU lineup, provided the only singles wins of the day for KU. Morozova defeated Alexis Dorr at the No. 2 position, while Wilbert outlasted Ally Majercik, 7-5, 7-5.
The Jayhawks' next match will be against UMKC at the Plaza Courts in Kansas City, Mo. on Sunday, March 1. Match time is set for 2 p.m.
1. Edina Horvath/Kunigunda Dorn (Kansas) def. Jessica Young/Sonja Molnar (Iowa) 8-6
2. Lynne Poggensee-Wei/Kelcie Klockenga (Iowa) def. Ekaterina Morozova/Yuliana Svistun (Kansas) 8-6
3. Alexis Dorr/Ally Majercik (Iowa) def. Erin Wilbert/Alessandra Dzuba (Kansas) 9-8 (7-2)
1. Sonja Molnar (Iowa) def. Edina Horvath (Kansas) 6-1, 6-1
2. Ekaterina Morozova (Kansas) def. Alexis Dorr (Iowa) 6-4, 3-6, (10-4)
3. Lynne Poggensee-Wei (Iowa) def. Kunigunda Dorn (Kansas) 6-2, 6-4
4. Kelcie Klockenga (Iowa) def. Yuliana Svistun (Kansas) 6-3, 6-0
5. Jessica Young (Iowa) def. Maria Martinez (Kansas) 6-2, 6-2
6. Erin Wilbert (Kansas) def. Ally Majercik (Iowa) 7-5, 7-5
Order of Finish:
Doubles(2,1,3) Singles (5,4,1,3,2,6)