March 15, 2006
MANHATTAN, Kan. - The University of Kansas tennis team fell to 56th ranked Kansas State, 6-1, in the annual Sunflower Showdown. The loss drops KU to 5-6 overall and 0-3 in Big 12 Conference play.
The Jayhawks got a doubles victory from the tandem of Elizaveta Avdeeva and Ksenia Bukina in the No. 1 slot, but fell in the other two matches, surrendering the point to the Wildcats.
KU then dropped five of the six singles matches, getting its only win from Avdeeva, who defeated Jessica Simosa 5-4, 7-6, in the No. 2 position. The win was the sophomore's third straight singles victory.
Despite the lopsided score, nearly every match of the dual was close throughout. KU led in the No. 2 doubles match, 5-3, but could not stop a late charge by KSU, dropping the contest 8-6. Kansas also competed hard in singles play, with three of its five losses coming in three sets.
Kansas will look to bounce back when it travels to Baton Rouge, La. to take on Southern on March 19 and then LSU on March. 21.
1. Bukina/Avdeeva (KU) def. Simosa/Kudlackova (KSU), 8-7 (7-3)
2. Perevoschikova/Kvaratskhelia (KSU) def. Hommell/Horvath (KU), 8-6
3. Da Valle/Klimova (KSU) def. Skoda/Brown (KU), 8-1
1. (89) Tamar Kvaratskhelia (KSU) def. (99) Ksenia Bukina (KU), 6-1, 6-0
2. Elizaveta Avdeeva (KU) def. Jessica Simosa (KSU), 6-4, 6-7(7-1), 6-4
3. Maria Perevoschikova (KSU) def. Christine Skoda (KU), 6-4, 7-5(7-5)
4. Katerina Kudlackova (KSU) def. Lauren Hommell (KU), 6-4, 3-6, 6-2
5. Fernanda Da Valle (KSU) def. Edina Horvath (KU), 6-3, 4-6, 10-7
6. Olga Klimova (KSU) vs. Stephanie Smith (KU), 6-0, 4-6, 10-7