March 16, 2008
Columbia, Mo. -- The University of Kansas tennis team was defeated by Missouri, 4-3, in the annual Border Showdown on Sunday afternoon. The loss dropped No. 55 KU to 5-7 (1-2), while the Tigers improved to 9-6 (1-2)
The Jayhawks fell behind 1-0 after losing the doubles points and could never overcome the early deficit. KU got a win from its No. 2 tandem of senior Lauren Hommell and sophomore Kunugunda Dorn, but fell in the No. 1 and No. 3 matches to surrender the point.
However, Kansas stormed back early in singles action, winning the first three matches to be completed to go up 3-1. Notching victories for Kansas was freshman Magdalena Tokarczyk in the No. 1 contest, junior Edina Horvath at No. 3 and Dorn in the No. 4 match.
Tokarczyk was dominant in her matchup, handling MU's Mallory Weber, 6-2, 6-2, while Horvath's win over the Tigers' Chrissy Svetlic was the Budapest, Hungary, natives team-leading ninth of the dual match season.
Missouri, though, would take the remaining three singles matches to win the dual. KU was without junior Yuliana Svistun, who normally plays at No. 5, forcing Hommell to move up to No. 5 and senior Stephanie Smith to No. 6.
As has been the case recently for KU, the match came down to the No. 6 match, but Smith, a Salina, Kan., native, came up short against Mizzou's Kaitlyn Ritchie, 6-4, 6-2.
Kansas will look to get back on track on Thursday when it hosts Iowa. The dual is set to begin at noon at First Serve.
1) Svetlic/Weber (MU) def. Avdeeva/Horvath(KU) 8-6
2) Dorn/Hommell (KU) def. Dunham/Sofia Ayala (MU) 8-2
3) Giuggioli/Ritchie (MU) def. Svistun/Tokarczyk (KU) 8-5
1) Magdalena Tokarczyk (KU) def. Mallory Weber (MU) 6-2, 6-0
2) Jessica Giuggioli (MU) def. Elizaveta Avdeeva (KU) 6-4, 2-6, 6-4
3) Edina Horvath (KU) def. Chrissy Svetlic (MU) 6-4, 6-3
4) Kunigunda Dorn (KU) def. Kaitlin Dunham (MU) 7-5, 6-4
5) Maureen Modesto (MU) def. Lauren Hommell (KU) 6-4, 6-3
6) Kaitlyn Ritchie (MU) def. Stephanie Smith (KU) 6-4, 6-2