KU Tennis Edges Oklahoma State, 4-3
March 19, 2005
Stillwater, Okla. - The University of Kansas tennis team continued its successful trip to Oklahoma with a 4-3 victory over the Oklahoma State Cowgirls Saturday in Stillwater, Okla. The win improves the Jayhawks record to 4-9 on the season and 3-2 in Big 12 play.
The `Hawks got off to a hot start by sweeping the three doubles matches to earn the doubles point. Junior Christine Skoda and sophomore Ashley Filberth defeated OSU's Lauren Simmons and Jessica Collins, 8-3. Junior Luiza Loureiro and freshman Elizaveta Avdeeva notched a 9-7 victory over the Cowgirls' Sandra Blajer and Zana Masnic.
The Jayhawks needed to win three of six singles matches to secure the victory. Skoda continued her four-match winning streak in Big 12 play with a 6-4, 6-2 victory over Masnic, while freshman Stephanie Smith earned her second straight victory by defeating Blajer, 7-6 (4), 6-2. With the match tied, 3-3, the Jayhawks looked to freshman Lauren Hommell to propel the team to victory. Hommell responded with a thrilling three-set victory over Jessica Collins, 6-3, 2-6, 6-3.
"I thought we competed well today and I am very proud of our team," KU head coach Amy Hall-Holt said. "After winning two in a row, our confidence is up a lot and we know that we can compete against teams in the Big 12."
The Jayhawks will next face off against South Florida on Monday, March 21, in Tampa, Fla., before heading to Orlando, Fla., for a match against Central Florida on Wednesday, March 23.
1. No. 93 Iryna Tkachenko (OSU) def. Elizaveta Avdeeva (KU) 6-2, 6-4
2. Christine Skoda (KU) def. Zana Masnic (OSU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Lauren Simmons (OSU) def. Brittany Brown (KU) 6-1, 6-3
4. Lauren Hommell (KU) def. Jessica Collins (OSU) 6-3, 2-6, 6-3
5. Jennifer Poskitt (OSU) def. Ashley Filberth (KU) 6-1, 6-1
6. Stephanie Smith (KU) def. Sandra Blajer (OSU) 7-6 (4), 6-2
1. Brown/Hommell (KU) def. Tkachenko/Kubicikova (OSU) 1-4, default
2. Skoda/Filberth (KU) def. Simmons/Collins (OSU) 8-3
3. Avdeeva/Luiza Louriero (KU) def. Masnic/Blajer (OSU) 9-7