KU Tennis Falls To Tulsa, 6-1
April 6, 2005
Lawrence, Kan - The University of Kansas tennis team fell to the No. 72 Tulsa Golden Hurricane on Wednesday, in Lawrence, Kan., at Robinson Courts. The loss drops the Jayhawks record to 4-12.
KU dropped two of three doubles matches as Tulsa earned the first point of the day. In No. 2 doubles, the KU duo of freshman Elizaveta Avdeeva and sophomore Brittany Brown notched an 8-4 victory over Tulsa's Lisette Pereira and Kindsay Grimes.
In singles action, the Jayhawks dropped five of six matches. The lone Jayhawk singles victory came from freshman Stephanie Smith at the No. 6 position. Smith earned a straight-set victory over Grimes, 7-6, 7-6. With the win, Smith moves to 6-8 this spring. In No. 1 singles, Avdeeva fell to Daniela Muscolino, who is currently ranked 77th in the country, 6-0, 6-2.
The Jayhawks will next head to Columbia, Mo., for a Border Showdown matchup against the Missouri Tigers on Saturday. The match will begin at 11 a.m.
1. Muscolino/Zabaleta (TU) def. Hommell/Skoda (KU) 8-4
2. Avdeeva/Brown (KU) def. Pereira/Grimes (TU) 8-4
3. Smith/Delport (TU) def. Loureiro/Filberth (KU) 8-4
Order of Finish- 3, 1, 2
1. Daniela Muscolino (TU) def. Elizaveta Avdeeva (KU) 6-0, 6-2
2. Carla Zabaleta (TU) def. Christine Skoda (KU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Lisette Pereira (TU) def. Brittany Brown (KU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Santie Delport (TU) def. Lauren Hommell (KU) 5-7, 6-0, 6-1
5. Timberly Greenly (TU) def. Ashley Filberth (KU) 6-4, 6-0
6. Stephanie Smith (KU) def. Kindsay Grimes (TU) 7-6, 7-6
Order of Finish- 1, 5, 3, 2, 4, 6