KU Tennis Falls in First Round of Big 12 Tournament to Colorado, 4-2
April 28, 2005
Austin, Texas - The University of Kansas tennis team fell to the Colorado Buffaloes, 4-2, Thursday in the first round of the Big 12 Tournament in Austin, Texas. The No. 11 seed Jayhawks (4-17 overall, 3-8 Big 12) earned two singles victories over No. 6 seed Colorado (11-11 overall, 5-6 Big 12), but it was not enough as the Buffaloes earned three singles victories and the doubles point.
Freshman Elizaveta Avdeeva at No. 1 singles and freshman Lauren Hommell at No. 5 singles provided the two Jayhawk singles victories. Avdeeva defeated CU's Lynzee Kever in straight-sets, 6-4, 6-2, while Hommell rolled to a 6-3, 6-2 straight-set victory over Martina Sedivec.
In No. 2 singles, junior Christine Skoda was dropped by the `Buffs Kendra Strandemo, 6-2, 6-4. Sophomore Brittany Brown was defeated by Jessica Vanderdys, 7-5, 6-2, in No. 3 singles, while fellow sophomore Ashley Filberth lost a tough three-set match to Veera Nurmi, 3-6, 6-4, 6-0. Freshman Stephanie Smith was up in the third set, 2-1, to Gleisy Torres Torres when the set was called after Colorado had clinched the match.
Colorado earned two victories in doubles to secure the doubles point to start the day. KU's duo of Avdeeva and Skoda fell to Colorado's Strandemo and Vanderdys, 8-5, in No. 1 doubles.
"Even though it was a disappointing loss, I am happy with how the team competed today," KU head coach Amy Hall-Holt said. "We have had to overcome a lot of obstacles this season, but I am very proud of the effort put forth today."
The loss marks the completion of the team's 2005 spring season of play.
1. Strandemo/Vanderdys (CU) def. Skoda/Avdeeva (KU) 8-5
2. Kever/Sedivec (CU) def. Brown/Filberth (KU) 8-4
3. Hommell/Smith (KU) vs. Hanson/Torres Torres (CU) (Match ended when Colorado clinched the doubles point)
1. Elizaveta Avdeeva (KU) def. Lynzee Kever (CU) 6-4, 6-2
2. Kendra Strandemo (CU) def. Christine Skoda (KU) 6-2, 6-4
3. Jessica Vanderdys (CU) def. Brittany Brown (KU) 7-5, 6-2
4. Veera Nurmi (CU) def. Ashley Filberth (KU) 3-6, 6-4, 6-0
5. Lauren Hommell (KU) def. Martina Sedivec (CU) 6-3, 6-2
6. Stephanie Smith (KU) vs. Gliesy Torres Torres (CU) 2-6, 7-5, 2-1 (Third set called when Colorado clinched the match)